smallface

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages" -Thomas A. Edison

Tuesday, August 23, 2005


Joan Baez just told Scott Galindez (managing editor of Truthout.org; he is sitting next to me :) ) that she plans to stay through Friday. You can see a video of Joan singing "Where have all the flowers gone" on Truthout's site. Joan taught me a lot about non-violent resistance last night. She spent a lot of time with MLK and had some beautiful and inspiring stories which she shared with our graceful group. I can now say that I have sung "Freedom" with Joan Baez. Another dream come true. Moving beyond words.

Cindy is tenatively coming back to Camp Casey tomorrow!!!!!! I am relieved to hear her mother shows signs of improvement. Rumors are that the town of Crawford is continuing its fortuitous effort to figure out a legal way to break the camp apart.

I have only one hour left at Camp Casey. It pains me to leave. Last night was mind boggling, again. We heard the stories of 2 service people (Jeff Patterson(pictured above) and Amy Allison) who protested the 1st Gulf war and haven't given up the fight. When Jeff's dissent became public he was spit upon by numerous members of his platoon. 'That was a low point." Then the marines started to spit at each other and he realized that he wasn't alone. The message was to try and find service people who have similar conflicts with regard to this war. There are more than we think. This movement has involved many vetrans and they have the power to inspire change and influence the conflicted pro-war swing voters. Also, when people leave the service, they lose the structure and support system provided with the military. Groups like Vetrans for Peace and IVAW are helpful in filling that void. They are a progressive support system for those who have left the military. Everyone wins.

How I hate to leave. This experience has changed my life. I will write more of my experience when I get home.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home