smallface

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages" -Thomas A. Edison

Friday, August 20, 2010


It has been almost a month since the last post.....Not sure I'm cut out for this.... I guess this means I don't really want to write.....but, I do have a story to tell...it is not mine...someone else's.....anyway, will keep dreaming and trying...

Took the picture from the veranda of my friend's home on the Blood Indian reservation.....was amazing to watch this family grow up and fly away.... no idle time...devoted parents .....

One of my favorite contemporary authors is Sherman Alexie...this article (by him), about his work is disheartening, but gets to our real world and the many thieves within.

I would love to post one of his poems and a picture, but he has strictly forbid this (I am proud to say I actually contacted his publisher).....it is kind of sad because it limits outreach.....but, like most of us with First Nations background, there is a subtle element of anger at the 'other world' and many of us feel like we'll go down dying defending our work, family, passions. He is an amazing writer, so check out his work. He can weave beauty and humor into chaos... I like/love everything he's written except for a couple of poems which seem silly. A good place to start is to read the stories in "The Lone Ranger and Tonto, Fistfight in Heaven.'

In a few hours I will be doing a history and physical examination on a victim of torture. These experiences are so so intense and tragic, I have a difficult time doing them...I really have to prepare myself mentally....I am, however, honored to help because these are true 'survivors' who have character and strength of which I can only dream. My work is legal and feels ethically 'correct' because this work makes a constructive difference in the lives of individuals who might actually 'survive' and through that survival make our world a better place...they inspire me to keep trying and fighting for truth and righteousness...this work is possibly some of the most meaningful work I have ever done.....these 'victims' are amazing people....there really are no words to describe them.....incomprehensible survivors...their stories are amazing I may post them annoymously....they remind me of the fact that we live blessed lives compared to theirs....this work helps me never forget. If you want to help them at all, here is a link to the group that supports them: Survivors of Torture, International.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home